A boozehound goes sober...

A boozehound goes sober...

Thursday, December 31, 2015

NYE: The Last Ride

Normally, I love NYE! For the past two years, however, I have hated it. It has felt like I have stood still for two years, I haven't moved forward in my career(s), I lost, gained, lost and then gained some weight, there have been no notable love stories, and my bank account still seems like it will stay steady at the low three figure range.

I woke up this morning at 8:30am and accomplished more by 1pm than I have in the last week...bought toilet paper, ran 5 miles, printed head shots/resumes and mailed them to agents, started re-watching Game of Thrones, made coffee. For a moment, I felt like maybe I was making progress in this life thing we are doing.

I managed to be this productive and have these big life thoughts because I wasn't hungover. Did I drink last night? YES (I am giving it up tomorrow so I thought why not?). BUT, I didn't drink to excess. I didn't stay up until 2am because I could. I didn't drunkenly message anyone who would respond. While running this morning, I felt strong except for when I fell on that patch of ice. I had a moment of excitement to start this year off with a month of sobriety.

Tonight, I am going to drink. It is New Year's Eve, and this has been one of the harder years I can remember. I am going to sip champagne, eat poorly, and chat with friends. And, tomorrow when I wake up, hungover, I am going to try my damnedest to remind myself how I felt this morning. I am pretty sure this is going to be hard, and like, ok. But I am going to give it a whirl because I want to look forward to NYE next year.

They say that if you tell people your goals you are less likely to accomplish them. Here's hoping "they" are wrong.


This morning's run. I am a whole 30 seconds faster than I was this time last year. So I may have been a booze hound, but I was one that was running a whole hella lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment